SCROLL DOWN TO CONTINUE
An early start is a better start...
Infants and toddlers are constantly learning as they interact with people and things around them. In fact, during the first three years of life, the brain grows to 90% of its adult size and becomes wired for future learning.
Children learn best when they have consistent, nurturing relationships with adults who care, whether at home or away from home – and most young children live in homes where all parents present are working.
Without affordable, quality child care, parents and families can't work – and children can't access the early learning opportunities they need to prepare for school success. But quality child care costs more than most families can afford to pay, even more than tuition at our public colleges and universities!
Child Care Resources Inc. (CCRI) can help.
WHAT IS EARLY HEAD START?
CCRI’s Early Head Start-Child Care Partnership (EHS-CCP) is a federally-funded program to help low-income families afford high-quality child care with health and mental health services and family supports. Early Head Start is available at participating child care centers and serves infants and toddlers whose families live at or below the poverty level in Mecklenburg County.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
You should apply for CCRI's Early Head Start - Child Care Partnership if:
- Your child is an infant, toddler, or two-year-old
- Your family's income is equal to or below the federal poverty level
- Preferably, your family receives a child care subsidy voucher
Additionally, we encourage you to apply if:
- Your child has a disability or is being evaluated
- You are a foster parent
- Your family is homeless
- Your family receives TANF or SSI
WHY SHOULD YOU APPLY?
CCRI's Early Head Start - Child Care Partnership serves infants, toddlers, and two-year-olds of working families with income at or below 100% of the federal poverty level, benefits of these services include:
- Full-day, full-year child care
- Small group size and low child-staff ratios
- Qualified early childhood teachers
- Free infant formula and diapers while at child care
- Healthy meals and snacks
- Developmentally appropriate instruction
- Developmental screenings
- Assessment to monitor children's progress
- Research based curriculum
- Parent activities and family services
Priority is given to children who are already receiving child care subsidy and currently enrolled at a CCRI EHS-CCP participating child care center.
Families of children with special needs are also encouraged to apply! Children who are homeless or in foster care are categorically eligible.
Early Head Start - Participating Centers
First Ward Child Development Center 600 E 7th St. Charlotte, NC 28202
Lakewood Preschool Corporation 3115 Kalynne St. Charlotte, NC 28208
Smart Kids 225 Lambeth Dr. Charlotte, NC 28213
The Early Learning Center 4304 S Tryon St. Charlotte, NC 28217
Pure Genius 1530 Alleghany St. Charlotte, NC 28208
Determining Eligibility is the First Step
CCRI'S EHS-CCP serves infants, toddlers, and two-year-olds of working families with income at or below 100% of the Federal poverty level.
100% of Federal Poverty Level
Even if your child is eligible for EHS-CCP, service is not guaranteed as there are a limited number of funded spaces. The first step to finding out whether there is space available for your child is to schedule an appointment with CCRI's EHS-CCP Enrollment Specialist to determined of your child and family are eligible.
How to apply for Early Head Start
1. Schedule an appointment with an EHS Enrollment Specialist by phone, email or by filling out our online application.
2. Provide the following required documents:
- Proof of all income for the last 12 months (employment, child support, unemployment, TANF, SSI, SSA)
- Child's birth certificate or age verification
- Child's Medicaid or health insurance card
- Child's most recent IFSP (if applicable)
- Custody or placement documentation (if the child is in foster care OR if the adult is the legal guardian)
3. Meet with CCRI's EHS-CCP Enrollment Specialist to help you complete your application.